Thursday, January 24, 2013

Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James

Some love it, some are not too sure what all the excitement E L James has brought out in the Fifty Shades Trilogy.  Fifty Shades of Grey is our February 2013 read.  Our February discussion of Fifty Shades of Grey also brought out communication via email.  Received this before the book club meeting: 
"I thought it was a relationship book not an S & M book. It amazes me that the series is on the best seller lists. Why do people want to read about the subjugation of one person to another without resolve? I found the book to be poorly written with little or no character or plot development. There are too many unanswered questions left hanging. What motivated these two main characters? Why did he not want to be "touched" and why was she so easily drawn into this arrangement? These are major questions. I found the book to be a series of trysts but leading nowhere. The writing reminded me of MAD LIBS; fill in the verb, adjective, adverb. The sentence structure the same over and over; ending sentences with a description word rather than altering the phrase and clauses. Also word choice for her was dull. How many times can she fall off the precipice or say "oh, my?" 
Since I had not finished the book, I chose to not attend.  I received this information from a fellow Book Club member:  "A few of us seemed to think that Ana had a lot of control. I didn’t see it that way. In the discussion, someone said that at one point he hit her with a belt – enough to draw blood and she didn’t like it."  
I hope that any of my fellow Book Club members would feel comfortable to say what they felt in the comments.   I was able to complete the book, because I wanted to see if Christian Grey truly found a relationship or if Ana.  It was not a book I really would recommend because I found it disturbing that a woman would even consider such a proposition from anyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment